Last week Stevie from A Cornish Mum set herself a ’40 before Forty’ challenge featuring a list of, you guessed it, 40 things she would like to achieve before her fortieth birthday. This is right up my street, I love a good list so I went to work on putting together my own ’40 things’ and in no particular order here’s what I came up with:
- Learn to play Poker (and win a game)
- Post more cards/letters/gifts
- Craft something functional, that actually looks nice.
- Learn to play the drums
- Learn a ‘proper’ dance.
- Learn to swim (yup!)
- Grow something, anything, successfully.
- Clear braces
- Visit Lake Bled, Slovenia
- Make my own jam
- Read more Oscar Wilde
- Take a hot air balloon ride
- Buy a proper grown up camera
- Learn how to use it
- Weekend away with the girls
- NYE fireworks in London
- Get a 6 pack
- Run the London marathon
- Family knees up with my cousins
- Learn (a lot) more about blogging
- Afternoon tea at The Ritz (and Claridges!)
- Botox my 11s (the angry looking bit between the eyebrows)
- Learn to speak French
- Drive and Aston Martin on a racetrack
- Visit a vineyard
- Spend a day watching all those old movies I’ve been meaning to see forever
- Life drawing class
- Buy a piece of art
- Prettify the garden
- Go to the ballet
- Jump off a diving board
- Christmas Carols at The Royal Albert Hall
- Get a National Trust membership
- Drive a campervan around Ireland
- Visit a theme park
- Take the kids to see a West End show
- Go geocaching
- Cook every recipe in ‘Leon- Baking & Puddings’
- Quit stressing about turning 40
Given that I have a MUCH smaller time frame than Stevie to achieve the above (3 years in June!) I probably need to start oooh about 6 years ago. I’ll also need to sell a kidney to fund it all but apart from that I’m good to go.
I’ll admit No.15 is a little bit cheaty because I do actually have a girls weekend away coming up but this is something I’ve never done, even before kids, despite wanting to for years so it’s staying.
NYE Fireworks in London I’d like to do just once because actually I secretly like staying in with Himself watching it on telly with a bottle of bubbles. Learning to play the drums is something I’ve wanted to do for so long, it’s only the teeny matter of actually needing to own a drum kit that’s been holding me back. There was a brief moment, student loan safely secured in my account, when I came close. Sadly I had to choose between that and food. Let’s just say I put on quite a bit of weight that term.
Abs? Pahahahahahahahahahhah! Neevvver gonna happen. Marathon? Again,unlikely given my aversion to anything remotely athletic.
Even still, looks like I’m going to have a busy few years ahead, best crack on I suppose…